F. Jerome Tapley
Co-Chair, Class Action & Consumer Fraud Litigation Practice
T: (205) 271-7112
F: (205) 324-7896
T: (205) 271-7145
For Jerome Tapley, the decision to become a lawyer was a deeply personal one. When he was a boy, a family member died in a work-place accident. Tapley witnessed first-hand how lawyers could make a difference in people’s lives. The trial lawyers who represented Tapley’s family successfully held the responsible party accountable for the tragedy. Tapley knew then he wanted to be a trial lawyer. His road toward achieving that goal was not easy, but hard work has never been an obstacle for Tapley.
Tapley was born in Alexander City, Alabama, a hard-working, cotton mill town that taught him the values of persistence, keeping his word, and doing his best. The lessons he learned from his community propelled him to become the first college graduate in his family, graduating from Auburn University Montgomery and earning his law degree through Cumberland School of Law at Samford University.
Tapley, now a principal at Cory Watson Attorneys, focuses 100 percent on courtroom litigation, including Class Action, Mass Tort, and Products Liability litigation. He’s admitted to all state and federal courts in Alabama and Florida.
Jerome has been married to his high school sweetheart Kelli for 17 years. Kelli is a pediatrician and a mom to their two daughters, Madeline and Harper. On the weekends you can find Jerome and his family out quail hunting with their dog Duke, tending to their vegetable garden, or fly fishing. The Tapley family is active at Haven Field Community Church, where Jerome serves as Chairman of the Elders and hosts a weekly family small group at their home. Though Jerome has a variety of hobbies and interests, one of his favorite quotes speaks to his hard-working background: “"No one has ever drowned in sweat.”- Lou Holtz.
- Alabama State Bar
- Florida State Bar
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
Appointments & Representative Cases
- Plaintiffs’ Co-Lead Counsel, In re: Google Inc. Gmail Litigation, MDL No. 2430
- Co-Lead Class Counsel, Rotandi v. Miles Industries, Ltd., N.D. Cal. 11-CV-02146
- Class Counsel, Banks v. Nissan North America, Inc., N.D. Cal. 11-cv-02022
- Co-Lead Class Counsel, Keilholtz v. Lennox, et. al., N.D. Cal., 08-CV-00836
- Class Counsel, Craft v. North Seattle Comm. College Foundation, M.D. Ga. Case No. 3:07-cv-132-CDL
- Plaintiffs’ Executive Committee, In Re: General Motors Corporation Dex-Cool Products Liability Litigation, MDL No. 1562
Honors, Awards & Accomplishments
- Top 40 Under 40 National Trial Lawyers
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated Martindale-Hubbell
- Super Lawyers, 2011-2016
- Omicron Delta Kappa, Leadership Honors Society
- Order of Omega, Greek Honors Society
- Cumberland School of Law, Trial Advocacy Board, Scholar of Merit
- American Journal of Trial Advocacy
- Auburn University Montgomery, Student Government, President
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Alabama State Bar Association
- Florida Bar Association
- Alabama Association for Justice, Emerging Leaders Section
- American Association for Justice
- Haven Field Community Church, Chairman of the Governing Board, the Elder Team
Select Reported Cases
- Lisk Lumber One Wood Preserving, LLC (11th Cir. 2015) 792 F.3d 1331.
- Google, Inc. v. Hood (5th Cir. May 18, 2016, No. 15-60205) 2016 U.S. App. LEXIS 9109.
- Brandon Banks v. Nissan North Am., Inc. (D.Cal. 2013) 301 F.R.D. 327.
- Batista v. Nissan North Am., (S.D.Fla. Dec. 7, 2015, Civil Action No. 14-24728-Civ) 2015 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 177227.
- Keilholtz v. Lennox Hearth Prods. (N.D.Cal. 2010) 268 F.R.D. 330.
- Cumberland School of Law, Samford University, J.D.
- Auburn University Montgomery, B.S.