Hirlye Lutz (Ryan)
Co-Chair, Class Action & Consumer Fraud Litigation Practice
T: (205) 271-7106
F: (205) 324-7896
T: (205) 271-7145
Ryan Lutz is a compassionate competitor. Inspired to enter the highly adversarial field of litigation after playing collegiate basketball, Ryan has successfully focused his competitive spirit toward helping those injured personally and economically by large corporations who place profits over safety and fairness. Ryan believes that helping people through the law gives ordinary people a voice, and his “win the day” approach to practicing law gives a powerful voice to those who need it.
Born and raised in Birmingham, Ryan earned his undergraduate degree from Auburn University before returning to Birmingham to pursue his Juris Doctor at Cumberland School of Law at Samford University. Since joining Cory Watson 11 years ago, Ryan served as class counsel for one certified nationwide class action against an automobile manufacturer, and two certified nationwide class actions against fireplace manufacturers. The fireplace manufacturers made dangerous glass front fireplaces that were severely injuring infants and toddlers who accidently touched the glass and suffered third degree burns. As a result of litigation, the fireplace industry changed its standards to require mandatory safety screens, preventing further harm to young children.
Ryan’s drive to help and connect to fellow citizens nationwide is evidenced by his work, his lifestyle, and his concern for children extends beyond the courtroom. He is a board member and current president of the Tumtum Tree Foundation, a charity that raises money for local children’s charities. The foundation has raised over $10,000,000.
When he’s not working, he and his wife are experiencing the joys of parenthood as they recently had their first child, Asher. Ryan also enjoys sports, exercise, travel, food, wine, and music.
- Alabama State Bar
- The Supreme Court of Alabama
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Alabama
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Alabama
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Alabama
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- United States District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
Appointments & Representative Cases
- Co-Lead Counsel for the Class, Rotandi v. Miles Industries, Ltd., N.D. Cal. 11-CV-02146
- Co-Lead Counsel for the Class, Keilholtz v. Lennox, et. al., N.D. Cal., 08-CV-00836
- Co-Lead Counsel for the Class, Banks v. Nissan North America, Inc., N.D. Cal. 11-CV-2022
- Co-Lead Counsel, Batista v. Nissan North America, Inc., S.D. FL 14-cv-24728
- Counsel for Mississippi Attorney General Jim Hood, Google, Inc. v. Jim Hood, Attorney General of the State of MS, S.D. MS 3:14-cv-981.
- Co-Lead Counsel, Lisk v. Lumber One Wood Preserving, LLC, Appeal No. 14-11714, 2015 U.S. App. LEXIS 11891 (11th Cir. Ala. July 10, 2015)
- Counsel for Plaintiffs, In re: Oral Sodium Phosphate Solution-Based Products Liability Action, N.D. Ohio, Case No. 1:09-SP-80000
- Co-Lead Counsel, City of Irondale v. Community Health Systems, Inc., Case No. 01-cv-2009-902547
- Counsel, In re: Google Inc. Gmail Litigation, MDL No. 2430
- In re Google Inc. Gmail Litig., Case No. 13-MD-02430-LHK, 2013 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 172784 (N.D. Cal. Sept. 26, 2013)
- Banks v. Nissan North Am., Inc., 301 F.R.D. 327 (N.D. Cal. 2013)
- Panico v. BDR Thermea, 2012 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 110056 (N.D. Cal. 2012)
- Whelan v. BDR Thermea, 2011 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 143129 (N.D. Cal. 2011)
- Wallace v. Jackson, 2010 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 113400 (M.D. Ala. 2010)
- Ex parte Cmty. Health Sys. Prof’l Servs. Corp., 72 So. 3d 595 (Ala. 2011)
- Keilholtz v. Lennox Hearth Prods., 268 F.R.D. 330 (N.D. Cal. 2010)
- Wallace v. Jackson, 667 F. Supp. 2d 1267 (M.D. Ala. 2009)
Honors, Awards & Accomplishments
- Super Lawyers, Alabama Rising Stars, 2012-2015
- Birmingham Magazine, Top Birmingham Attorneys
- Birmingham Business Journal Rising Star
- Mealey’s Pharmaceutical Superconference, “Digitek-An Overview,” Guest Speaker
- HB Litigation Conference, “Fleet Phospho-Soda-Over the Counter Drug Litigation,” Guest Speaker
- Alabama Association for Justice, “Spotting a Class Action—Don’t Miss Your Opportunity,” Guest Speaker
- Full athletic basketball scholarship to The University of Alabama at Huntsville
- The University of Alabama at Huntsville, Dean’s List
- Auburn University, Dean’s List
- Cumberland School of Law, Dean’s List
- Cumberland School of Law, Scholar of Merit Award
- Alabama State Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
- Alabama Association for Justice, Emerging Leaders Section
- Birmingham Bar Association
- TumTum Tree Foundation, Board Member and current President
- Cumberland School of Law, Samford University, J.D.
- The University of Alabama at Huntsville
- Auburn University, B.S.
- TumTum Tree Foundation